Ooooh Christmas is only weeks away! What Christmas baking do you have planned?
I’m so happy to introduce a new guest blogger Kara! I have known Kara since we went to Intermediate many years ago! She is a knowledgeable and experienced baker, cake master, nanny, Mum and also pregnant with her second child. Kara will be sharing a recipe on the blog each month! Tried and tested recipes we highly recommend you to try with your children.
Today Kara is sharing a Ginger bread men cookie recipe she made with her daughter Keira. This recipe is EGG FREE and comes from the Donna Hay Kids Magazine.
125g butter, softened
1/2 cup (90g) brown sugar
2/3 cup (230g) golden syrup
2 1/2 cups (375g) plain flour, sifted
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
m&ms to decorate
1 1/2 cups (240g) icing sugar, sifted
1 1/2 tablespoons boiling water
- Preheat oven 180C. Place the butter and sugar in an electric mixer and beat for 10-12 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Add the golden syrup, flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda and beat until mixture just comes together to form a smooth dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper until 5mm thick. Use gingerbread cutters to cut shapes from the dough. Place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Cool on trays.
- Place the icing sugar and boiling water in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Spoon icing into a piping bag with a 3mm nozzle and decorate the gingerbread
- Tip: An easy way to decorate your cookies is to press the m&ms into the dough before you bake them, saves on time and mess